Another warm-ish early spring day, at 44°F. The temperature was about the same as yesterday’s, but it was grey and overcast, and with the wind, it felt significantly colder. Wearing a polypro turtleneck and a lightweight fleece jacket, with no sweater and no gloves, I was uncomfortably cold when I started out; about 20 minutes into the walk, I had warmed up and was feeling overdressed.
Church Street does not appear on any online maps I can find, but it appears on at least two of my paper maps, called “Church Way” on one of them. The town’s official property map shows it as an unnamed street going between Mass. Ave. and Bacon St., next to the Highrock Church building (former home of the St. Athanasius the Great Greek Orthodox Church), and behind some houses on Central St. There are no street signs at either end, and visually this public alley appears to be a private driveway and parking lot. In my attempt at completism, I walked along it just in case it is an officially-named street.
Churchill Avenue (misspelled “Churchhill” on some maps) is one of many streets in the western half of town that go uphill away from Mass. Ave. and towards Route 2. The bottom end of Churchill is directly across Mass. Ave. from the main entrance of Arlington High School. It’s initially flat, becoming gradually steeper further away from Mass. Ave. Its peak is at Gray St., beyond which it goes downhill, ending at the edge of Menotomy Rocks Park.
Claremont Avenue parallels Park Ave. I’ve crossed it, and walked along its lower portion, many times when walking to and from the Dallin Elementary School when my son was a student there, but I haven’t been on its upper end more than once or twice, if at all. At its bottom end, the entire block between Appleton St. and Wollaston Ave. forms one side of the Youth Villages-Germaine Lawrence Campus, formerly the Germaine Lawrence School.
The route (not quite accurate on the map, because Google doesn’t acknowledge the existence of Church St.):
- From the corner of Daniels St. and Surry Rd., north (downhill) on Daniels St.
- Right on Mass. Ave.
- Left on Grove St. (Google maps suggested turning from Grove St. onto a series of paths through the town Dept. of Public Works, behind the high school, and along Mill Brook; from Grove St., the initial turning didn’t look like a public right of way, so I continued along the sidewalk.)
- Right on Summer St.
- Slightly right, onto the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway
- Right on Mill St.
- Left on Bacon St.
- Right on Church Street, which may be Church Way or an unnamed alley
- Right on Mass. Ave.
- Left on Churchill Avenue
- At Menotomy Rocks Park, reverse direction
- Bear left onto Valley Rd.
- Left on Gray St.
- Left on Oakland Ave.
- Cross Park Ave. and stay on Oakland Ave.
- Right on Claremont Avenue
- Right on Wollaston Ave.
- Cross Park Ave. onto Paul Revere Rd.
- Merge into Appleton St.
- Left on Daniels St., ending at Surry Rd.
Distance: 4.6 miles
Time: 1 hour 13 minutes
- An episode of the police drama series Petrella from 22 February
- Episode 129 of the AyePodcast Scottish music podcast, from Footstompin’ Records
Next: Claremont Court (omitted from today’s walk in order to avoid retracing parts of Claremont Avenue)